Boone-Apache Public Schools
“Return to Learn Plan”
This fall will bring a new school year with new challenges that we have never faced before as a school district. While it is our intention to open and hold school in the fall like any other year, we know there will be some differences. We are working on providing a safe environment that limits exposure by social distancing in the best way possible and still maintaining student learning at a high level. We know that returning to school campuses will bring a risk of exposure and it is important for each of us to do our part to keep everyone as safe as possible. The school sites will take additional sanitation and social distancing protocols to help in this process. Sanitizing stations will be available for unlimited use in each building. We will continue to follow the guidance from local, state, and national health authorities and necessary steps will be taken to maintain safe conditions for our school community.
- Parents/Guardians will be the frontline defense as they should observe your students for symptoms and/or elevated fever before sending them to school. It is imperative more than ever before that our students or any staff stays at home if they have a fever or symptoms related to COVID-19. Please make sure your student is fever-free for 48 hours before returning to school.
- Students that get on the school bus, or arrive to school are to be considered as “certified healthy” by the parent.
- Visitors to the school will be limited inside the buildings. If necessary for any visitor to enter any building site, they will be screened at the main entrance and should wear a face covering when entering.
- Random temperature checks will be taken at school as needed.
Instructional Options for Students:
OPTION 1: Return to school for in-person instruction and resume as normal as possible. At this time the 2020-2021 school calendar will be followed and August 13th will be the first instructional day for students.
OPTION 2: For those parents uncomfortable sending their child to traditional school, Boone-Apache will offer a Virtual option- off campus and totally online, to any student Grades K-12.
- We will be using an online program (Edgenuity) that we purchased this year and have conducted training with their experts.
- Students who choose this virtual option shall remain virtual until the end of the semester before switching back to traditional. *An unavoidable circumstance will be considered
- Students who choose this full-time virtual online option will be able to participate in extracurricular activities at the school site but must attend that hour in person and will be responsible for their own transportation to school site or activity site.
- Any student choosing the virtual option shall let the school know before school starts by contacting their proper school site. This is necessary for accreditation purposes in having ALL students in the system whether traditional or virtual.
by the Site Principal
- Handwashing is one of the best means of protection against infection. Students will be reminded often to wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after blowing their noses, coughing, or sneezing; going to the restroom, and before eating.
- Students and staff will have access to hand sanitizer throughout their school building.
- Also at this time, water fountains will not be available until further notice. Students and staff are encouraged to bring water bottles from home, and the school will be providing bottled water to drink as needed. The school is in the process of purchasing water bottle filling stations in each building.
The school will do everything that it possibly can to practice social distancing. The administration and teachers will do everything they can to maintain social distancing, whether in the classroom, in the hallways, during breakfast and lunch, and/or traveling on school buses.
- Bus transportation will still be offered unless we are advised not to any longer. Students who get on the bus will be deemed “certified healthy” by the parent.
- Windows to school buses will be open as much as possible to maximize air flow.
- Students will be separated to the best of our ability while on the bus.
- If necessary due to the large numbers on a bus, some route riders may not be allowed if they do not meet the 1.5 mile limitation for school bus transportation.
- It is highly recommended to parent/guardians to bring and pick-up their child from school to prevent large numbers on the buses.
We know that extra-curricular activities are vital elements of a students’ total school experience. Responses to COVID-19 in these environments will vary, always with a keen eye to proven practices and prevention. We will follow the guidance of the OSSAA (Oklahoma Secondary Schools Activity Association) in all activities associated with them.
At this time face coverings are highly recommended. *This could change at any time depending on local, county, state, or federal guidelines being mandated.
COVID-19 Symptoms at School:
As you know the number one priority is for the well-being and safety of our students and staff. We will have guidelines in place for any symptoms which we feel could put others in danger.
- If a teacher or staff member suspects a student may have a symptom, he/she will send that student to the office to be evaluated and temperature checked, if not already. If student is experiencing such symptoms, they will be isolated and parent/guardian will be contacted immediately to pick up their child and seek a medical opinion.
- Any student or staff who tests positive for COVID-19 must quarantine for 10 days after the date the positive test was taken. The student or staff may return to school after these 10 days if they are symptom-free or they may return to school after obtaining two negative tests given 24 hours apart. The negative test should be provided to the school before returning
- Upon being notified that a student or staff member has tested positive for COVID-19, Boone-Apache Schools will immediately contact the County Health Department. The health department will then conduct an investigation using contact tracers to determine if they feel others may be at risk.
- As stated earlier, parent/guardians are the frontline defense and should not send their child to school if any symptoms are shown.
- For more information, visit the following website: http://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus
Because of this unprecedented time in our school, we want our students at school but if there any signs of sickness, we want student or staff to remain at home until symptom free so not to expose others. The student will NOT be counted absent if it is COVID-19 related. They will get their assignments and hand them in when they return. If a student has to be a home for a long amount of time due to COVID, the school may place them on our online curriculum and once they are able to return to regular school, they would do that.
*This is an evolving document and with any new information from local, county, state, or federal officials, it could change immediately or as needed. Boone-Apache School appreciates your support, cooperation, and understanding during this unprecedented and challenging time. Any questions or concerns, please contact the school.